From my participation in the halls of power in Westminster and Capitol Hill, on the campaign trail from Des Moines to Manchester, inside multinational boardrooms and trade association meetings, I find underperforming communications.
Based on this experience, these are the seven reasons communication efforts fail:
1. No clear and consistent strategy
2. Over-indexing on tactics
3. Poor organization and staffing
4. No consistency or editorial calendar
5. Know-how is not shared and made available
6. Efforts are reactive and by chance
7. Online activities not in sync with offline activities
Marc A. Ross specializes in communications for thought leaders working at the intersection of globalization, disruption, and politics.